How Can A Partnership Change Its Partnership Representative

Can A Partnership Change Its Representative?

Last updated on July 1, 2020

It cannot be stressed enough how important your choice of a Partnership Representative is. Once a Partnership Representative is designated on a partnership’s IRS Form 1065, U.S. Return of Partnership Income, the designation cannot be changed at any time, for any reason, unless and until:

  1. The IRS initiates an examination of the partnership, or
  2. The partnership files an Administrative Adjustment Request (AAR), the partnership version of an amended return.

An AAR cannot be filed simply to change the Partnership Representative designation. The practical implication of this rule is that if the partnership selects a partner to be the Partnership Representative and the partner leaves the partnership, the partnership cannot change that designation unless and until the IRS initiates an examination of the partnership, or the partnership requests an amendment to the tax return for the taxable year at issue.

Put Our Proven Advocates On Your Side

At US Partnership Representative, Inc., you can be confident in the experience and skills of our tax advocates. We have a proven ability to efficiently resolve tax issues and protect the financial and legal interests of our clients through the advocates of Moore Tax Law Group, LLC. Call our Chicago office at 312-549-9919 or use our online contact form to schedule your initial consultation.